With the new windows now in place we had made great progress with the back wall, which was now looking almost finished. The wooden window frames really worked well next to the exposed stones, giving that earthy, rustic feel we were looking for.
However, in order to fully finish the back wall there was one final job to do and that was to recreate the three stone columns in to recreate the three stone columns in the place of the one large stone wall which looked kind of overwhelming!
To do this we decided to plaster over the stone sections underneath the window. By doing this, we would be separating the stones to create the columns while also adding a touch of neutrality amongst the stones and wood, bringing them out more. This was a straightforward enough job, using the same system we had devised while creating the wall insulation. We built a wooden structure around the stones to fit the frame, and then screwed the plasterboards into the wood. The trickiest part was carving the edges of the plasterboard to align with the natural form of the stone… requiring a very steady hand and patience!
Before covering the stones back up, we wrote our names and the date on the largest one, so that future renovators in years to come will know who was here first! Who knows when they will next be uncovered.
Take a look at the pictures below to see the change.