With the stonework now exposed, the next original features to bring back were the wooden beams. To do this we firstly considered the sand blasting technique but we were told that this could damage the wood, giving it a grainy finish. So instead we thought we would go back to basics and use an electric sander. While of course this technique was lengthier, it didn’t take much to bring out our beautiful oak beams with a nice smooth finish.
As the sanding began however, we couldn’t help but notice the condition of the rafters (the ceiling sections between the beams). They were cracked, marked and most of all the hollow sound made us concerned about the lack of insulation behind them.
Time for a tea and a think…do we continue sanding, or go back one step to remove and replace the rafters altogether, and concentrate on insulating the apartment.
While I was tempted just to continue sanding away, my boyfriend (ever the practical one) argued that this was the time to focus on repairs and renovation. Thinking long term, with no insulation we ran the risk of having a cold, draughty apartment in winter, as well hearing the goings on in the space above us…and so the decision was made.
In came the boys, in full demolition mode, and knocked through the ceiling. A few dead spiders and even a dead mouse later, off home I went!
Looking back now, we definitely got our priorities right, but at the time, all I could think was that the afternoon’s work had added on more time to our schedule, taking at least one month to bring us back to the point I thought we had reached that morning!